Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) 8 week Course
Fully funded course for North Canterbury residents, being held in Rangiora., thanks to the The Community Mindfulness project .
The Community Mindfulness Project: A collaboration with Community Wellbeing North Canterbury Trust and Logan Smythe and Associates to bring free science-based mindfulness and wellbeing courses, workshops and podcasts to North Canterbury, made possible by AIA Vitality.
What is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) ?
This is the evidence based “gold standard” of mindfulness courses. It has been taught around the world for 40 years and extensively researched.
It is an intensive and comprehensive mindfulness training. That involves 8 weeks of classes, a day of mindfulness and daily mindfulness practices at home/ in your daily life.
WHO IS IT FOR?
The course is for anyone who wants to reduce work, family or health-related stress and to bring a greater sense of balance and meaning to their lives and also to manage challenges more skillfully.
It is also for those who want to make mindfulness a part of their life.
There are some situations when it is not the best time to do an MBSR course.
These may include:
- A highly stressful time in your life or very close to a loss or major stress event.
- If you are unable to make the time and space to do the course fully and the practice it involves as you have other commitments.
- You have just become abstinent from alcohol and/ or other drugs. The course is a great compliment to addiction recovery but a period of at least 6 -12 months is recommended of abstinence.
- If you are suffering from acute debilitating mental health issues / substance use. It may be best to be working with a mental health worker initially before doing the course, so you feel able to focus fully and get the most from the course. This is available for free via your G.P. and also via txt/ call 1737. If you are working with a counselor it is important that we all connect, so you get the most from the experience.
The intake process is a time where we can explore whether this is the best time and course for you and to best meet your needs. This is done by completing pre course reflections and talking with me on the phone.
The course is for adults and is of benefit for those totally new to mindfulness as well as those with a current practice.
MBSR is the mindfulness course to do as CPD/ CME for health professionals and teachers.
HOW WILL IT HELP ME?
MBSR has been extensively researched over the years, this course in Rangiora is the same as the original researched one and is taught by a specialist trained MBSR teacher. These are some of the documented benefits of doing an MBSR course.
WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE?
Your investment in this course will provide you with the following:
- 27 hours of mindfulness teaching by a trained MBSR teacher, to support you own home practice.
- a whole day of mindfulness/ retreat day
- Recordings of mindfulness practices (via app) and course book for you to keep for your ongoing meditation practice and reading.
- Email and phone support as required.
- Access to ongoing 1×1 and group practice support in North Canterbury
MBSR is a secular course (requiring no beliefs/ non religious) combining ancient wisdom practices and cutting edge science.
The group is limited to 12 places only so that the group doesn’t feel too big.
The MBSR course was developed by Professor Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. It is at the cutting edge of integrative and preventative medicine.
It is a comprehensive and intensive course focused on the development of an ongoing mindfulness practice and way of life. It leads to measurable changes in brain regions associated with memory, sense of self, empathy, and stress as well as improving the immune response in eight weeks.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
This special fully funded MBSR is part of the The Community mindfulness project for North Canterbury residents, so it is free! The course is run a few times a year in Rangiora and has done for 7 years, enabling many people access to this life changing work, without having to travel to the city. It usually costs $590.00
What do people say about MBSR in Rangiora who have done it?
Check out testimonials
Are you a health professional or teacher?
MBSR is THE mindfulness training for those in helping professions, as it is evidence based and taught by a trained teacher; thus meeting criteria for CPD/CME. It assists with our capacity for listening, empathy, compassion and genuine curiosity. It can also help us see into our own patterns that get in the way of being truly helpful. MBSR is however not a professional training in using/ teaching mindfulness with clients or others. The benefits to others come from the clinicians own mindfulness training and embodied practice.
Find out more about mindfulness and self compassion workshops and support for health/ caring/ teaching professionals here
ALLOCATION AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
Stage 1 Expression of interest
- Read the MBSR INFO SHEET and all the information on this page before applying.
- Check the dates and make sure you can attend all sessions, this is required for you to get a place on this course.
- Complete the expression of interest form here. If you are a teacher here.
Stage 2 Registration process for those allocated a place.
For those allocated a place only
- Complete Pre-course Reflections and send back to me via email
- Complete consent-and-registration-form-2021 CMP
- Organise time for pre course interview (20 mins) either on phone or face to face (The point of this is to explore together how to support you getting the most from the course and identify any areas of possible areas of difficulty as well as a chance to ask any final questions)
The registration process is all part of the MBSR course and needs to be completed well before the course starts.
Here is an MBSR flyer 2021 May to put up at your workplace or pass on to friends.